For the uninitiated with no experience at all, it could be stressful to sell a house on their own. Like every trade, there are certain things that you need to master, at least know, before you can take full advantage of the market.
People sell houses for a lot of reasons, including job prospects, family relocation, better prices, etc. Selling fast your house fast can save you from long dry spells of waiting and the fear of a price drop.
In this article, we will share some of the practical tips that can help you in cashing your house quickly.
Cleaning & Decluttering
Before you put your house on the listing, it is best to evaluate rationally what is inside.
In most cases, there are a lot of things in the house that was only there because you love them. They offer no utility and only cluttering your space. You can make your rooms a little bit more spacious by getting rid of articles that may not belong.
- Use a storage unit to keep things offsite.
- Take care of the closets.
- Memorabilia like family pictures should not be lying around.
- Clean the house thoroughly. It is best to call professionals for the job.
There are many ways to sell your home, but the commonest ones are “for sale by owner” (FSBO) or through a real estate agent.
Both strategies have their merits, but data shows that homeowners that hire services of a professional real estate agent get to sell their home fast and get offers around their asking price. Of course, you need to pay the commission to the agent once he closes the deal, but it all worth it in the end.
There are some other avenues that you can explore for a quick bang:
- You can sell to an investor who has the intent to flip your house.
- In some cases, you can sell to a developer.
- You can auction off your house.
When you are selling in a hurry, there is no time for major teardowns and renovations. Still, it does not mean to neglect necessary repairs and replacements.
- Patch up where the paint is peeled off
- See to loosen tiles in the bathroom
- Have a look at leaky faucets and other water-related fixtures
If you have some time and resources for some upgrades, there are some that pay off when done right.
- A fresh coat of paint
- New hardware on the kitchen (cabinets, etc.)
- Replace primitive light fixtures
- New and matching appliances in rooms and kitchen
Hire A Real Estate Photographer
People may see it as an added expense but it can do wonders. You can snap pictures from your phone from certain points of your house, but an expert real estate photographer can give a distinct character to your space.
According to research, over 77% of buyers claim that they have taken help from the pictures given in the listings. So, it may cost a few hundred dollars but it is worth it.